I cannot tell you over the years how many times I have gotten glutened and sat there scratching my head as to where I could have possible gotten it from. After you get through a few years of denial, and thinking you can cheat occasionally followed by the never going to eat gluten again phase, you get to the phase where you are diligent and watch everything you eat. So where the heck were you glutened?
EXAMPLES OF HIDDEN GLUTEN:
- Natural flavoring-yep you heard me. They hide things under the ingredient “natural flavoring” and often it is gluten.
- Occasionally a vinegar not made in the US will be processed with gluten
- MSG (not all MSG is gluten free)
- Soy sauce (yes you think that being a sauce based from soy it wouldn’t have wheat, but most American soy sauces have wheat and gluten). Get San-J or Kikkoman has a version now that is gluten free or check your local Asian market as they have usually the 2 types above or authentic Asian soy sauce and for 1/2 the cost!
- YOUR TOASTER-there can be cross-contamination in your toaster from using gluten breads and gluten free breads
- Jelly jars-cross contamination from using knives for gluten and gluten free breads.
- Peanut butter jars-cross contamination from using knives for gluten and gluten free breads.
- Cellulose (can be derived from wheat plants)
- Anti-caking agents (like those used in spices to keep them from sticking and on your pre-shredded cheeses or feta and other crumbled cheeses).
- Cellulose and filler in medications!!!!! This is a big one. Make sure to check that your over the counter meds or prescription meds are gluten free!
- Gum & Candy-they don’t do it as much any more, but back in the day they used to dust the molds for candy and gum with flour.
- CHICKEN & POULTRY – check for injection of broth into the chicken for flavor-often the broth is not gluten free!
- Flavorings in mixed drinks!
**This is not a full list but a few major watch outs! We will add more to this in future blogs. Always check every label as things change & ask your pharmacist about medications, or call the manufacturer of your medications to be sure! Replace all your jars or have separate jars!
A great side dish that you can add or dish up any way you want is a great baked potato. Now over the years I have become quite the baked potato snob! I love the outside to be a bit crispy and slightly salty but the inside to be completely cooked and soft. I have experimented with foil, no foil, longer cooking times, shorter higher temp cooking times etc. The best potatoes have always been done this way in our house. You can make any combination of baked potato to satisfy a quick and cheap dinner for your family! No hidden gluten there!
Several baked potato combos we like:
- Pouring Chili or the White Chicken Chili over the top of a cooked and opened potato with cheese and sour cream.
- Adding warmed boar’s head lunch meat, fresh shredded cheeses, jalapenos, black olives, sour cream and butter.
- Taco meat, salsa, tomatoes, sour cream and fresh shredded cheddar.
- Roasted or grilled seasoned chicken, stewed or roasted Muir glen cooked and warmed tomatoes, sautéed green, yellow & red peppers and onions.
**Please make sure all items are gluten free that you add to your potato, and experiment with your toppings for a meal today!
BEST BAKED POTATO
The key to a perfect baked potato is metal skewers. They are super cheap and you can buy them anywhere!
4 large russet or Idaho potatoes
Coarse Kosher Sea Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take a potato brush or your hands and thoroughly scrub all the dirt off your potato under running cold water.
3. Immediately after washing in cold water, pat them dry and rub them in EVOO.
4. Run the metal skewers through the center of the potatoes.
5. Take a small pinch of Kosher coarse salt and rub the outside of the potato. (I use about 1 tsp for 4 potatoes).
5. Place the potatoes with the skewers running through the middle directly onto the wire racks in the center of your oven. Close the oven door and bake for 1 hour.
6. Cut open and enjoy!!!